We’re huge fans of eating at home, especially when you’re on a low carb diet. Are there any Red Robin keto meals available? Yes! Although it’s difficult to eat out while on keto, it is not impossible.
If you’re a ketogenic newbie, it might take you some time to know if a particular food on the menu can be customized into a low carb meal or not. Let’s take a burger for example – you need to order it without the bun, but also check if they don’t contain a high carb sauce.
Red Robin also has some chicken breast based sandwiches (check out their California Chicken burger!), a bunch of gourmet burgers to choose from and regular beef ones as well. If you’re still hungry, grab a side salad or steamed broccoli on the side.
What can I order at Red Robin?
Are Red Robin low carb and keto diet options any good? There’s a lot of menu items you can choose from. There’s the Avo-Cobb-O salad, which is one of our favorite meals you can order at Red Robin.
We also love the Sear-ious Salmon, the wedgie style Guacamole Bacon Burger, the Simply Grilled Chicken Salad and last but not least, the Royal Red Robin Burger.
We haven’t told you the best thing yet – Red Robin offers a wedgie burger. What’s what? It’s a burger or sandwich made with a lettuce wrap instead of bread. How cool is that?!
If you’re still hungry, you can order a side of broccoli instead of onion rings or fries, extra bacon, or a salad without the dressing if you want to keep your macros under control.
3 rules when ordering keto:
Rule #1: Always order burgers and sandwiches without the bun
They’re high in carbs! Even the lowest-carb bun at Red Robin called the Tavern Bun has 28g of carbs!
Instead, make your burger, sandwich or wrap wedgie style. What does that mean? Simply ask your server for a lettuce wrap.
Rule #2: Avoid fried items, sauces and dressings.
Roasted garlic aioli, Red’s Secret Tavern sauce, or maybe the Island Heat sauce? Nope, you can’t have any of these. Grab mayo or salsa instead.
Also, keep it simple and avoid fries, onion rings, the Southwest salad with tortilla strips, fried chicken and fish etc. We’ll put it this way: if it’s fried, there’s a 99% chance it’s not low carb and keto friendly.
Rule #3: Don’t drink your carbs
Red Robin has a very long list of beverages to choose from. With these, you have to be VERY careful. They’re loaded with sugar and thus, full of carbs. Not to mention, soft drinks contribute to weight gain.
Scroll down to the end of the article to see which drinks you can have on the keto diet.
Can I make my own low carb burger at Red Robin?
Absolutely, hands down, YES! While all of Red Robin’s menu burgers contain some kind of a bun, you can actually wrap it in lettuce or put it in a bowl without the bun. We give Red Robin tons of brownie points (keto, of course) for that menu option.
Below you will find our top picks for low carb and keto friendly ingredients you can put in your custom burger. Remember to order it without the bun and stay away from sauces that are high in carbs – including ketchup.
You can’t go wrong with a little bit of mustard and mayo though… don’t judge us on that combo, it’s delicious.
- Grilled Chicken Patty (120 calories; 1.5g fat; 27g protein; 0g net carbs)
- Gourmet Burger Patty (290 calories; 20g fat; 27g protein; 0g net carbs)
- Tavern Patty (130 calories; 9g fat; 12g protein; 0g net carbs)
- Sub a Salmon Fillet (280 calories; 19g fat; 33g protein; 2g net carbs)
- Turkey Patty (230 calories; 15g fat; 21g protein; 2g net carbs)
- American cheese (110 calories; 10g fat; 5g protein; 2g net carbs)
- Bleu cheese (150 calories; 11g fat; 8g protein; 2g net carbs)
- Cheddar cheese (110 calories; 9g fat; 7g protein; 0g net carbs)
- Pepper-Jack cheese (100 calories; 8g fat; 7g protein; 0g net carbs)
- Provolone cheese (80 calories; 6g fat; 6g protein; 0g net carbs)
- Swiss cheese (110 calories; 9g fat; 8g protein; 0g net carbs)
Substitutions & Sides
- Bacon (0g)
- Bacon bits (3g)
- Cucumber slices, three (0g)
- Fried Egg (0g)
- Green Chile (2g)
- Mayonnaise, 1oz (3g)
- Pickle Slices (2g)
- Red onions, sub (3g)
- Sauteed onions (2g)
- Steamed broccoli (3g)
- Tomato slice (1g)
- Buzzard (2g)
- Fresh Salsa (3g)
- Ranch (4g)*
Red Robin’s Keto Beef Burgers
We calculated their macros without the bun, but if you want to go even more keto simply get rid of any sauce, dressing or relish. Instead, grab some mustard or bleu cheese.
1. The Wedge Burger (540 calories; 34g fat; 40g protein; 18g total carbs; 13g net carbs)
2. Monster Burger, no bun (990 calories; 72g fat; 65g protein; 19g total carbs; 14g net carbs)
3. Impossible Cheeseburger, no bun (510 calories; 35g fat; 24g protein; 21g total carbs; 15g net carbs)
4. Royal Red Robin Burger, no bun (890 calories; 73g fat; 47g protein; 9g total carbs; 5g net carbs)
5. Bacon Cheeseburger, no bun (770 calories; 63g fat; 40g protein; 9g total carbs; 5g net carbs)
6. Smoke & Pepper Burger, no bun (540 calories; 35g fat; 42g protein; 9g total carbs; 5g net carbs)
7. Black & Bleu Burger, no bun (650 calories; 49g fat; 33g protein; 14g total carbs; 7g net carbs)
8. Red Robin Gourmet Cheeseburger, no bun (580 calories; 42g fat; 33g protein; 16g total carbs; 11g net carbs)
9. Guacamole Bacon Burger, no bun (710 calories; 53g fat; 44g protein; 11g total carbs; 5g net carbs)
Red Robin’s Keto Chicken Burgers & Sandwiches
10. Simply Grilled Chicken, no bun (140 calories; 3g fat; 27g protein; 5g total carbs; 2g net carbs)
11. BLTA Croissant, no croissant (350 calories; 26g fat; 24g protein; 9g total carbs; 4g net carbs)
12. Grilled Turkey, no bun (400 calories; 36g fat; 23g protein; 3g total carbs; 1g net carbs)
13. California Chicken, no bun (490 calories; 32g fat; 41g protein; 8g total carbs; 2g net carbs)
Red Robin’s Keto Entrees
You can eat the salmon as is, but if you want to keep the Ensenada Chicken Platter more keto friendly, skip the salsa ranch dressing.
14. Sear-ious Salmon (520 calories; 40g fat; 37g protein; 13g total carbs; 9g net carbs)
15. Ensenada Chicken Platter (470 calories; 18g fat; 59g protein; 20g total carbs; 14g net carbs)
Red Robin’s Keto Salads & Soups
16. House Salad (100 calories; 5g fat; 5g protein; 7g net carbs)
17. Simply Grilled Chicken Salad (280 calories; 8g fat; 35g protein; 13g net carbs)
18. Avo-Cobb-O Salad (510 calories; 26g fat; 50g protein; 16g net carbs)
19. Caesar Salad (230 calories; 21g fat; 4g protein; 6g net carbs)
20. Mighty Caesar (760 calories; 62g fat; 36g protein; 13g net carbs)
21. French Onion Soup, bowl (240 calories; 15g fat; 13g protein; 12g net carbs)
Red Robin’s Keto Friendly Beverages
Does Red Robin serve low carb and keto friendly beverages and alcohols? Yep! Am I allowed to drink alcohol while I’m on the keto diet? Yes and no… there’s a catch.
Simply put – if you’re on keto, your body processes and burns through alcohol first. While consuming it may not kick you out of ketosis (in moderation, of course) you will stall your weight loss goals since your body will prioritize getting rid of alcohol first, instead of fat.
If you need a glass, here are our top, low carb choices at Red Robin:
- AHA Blueberry + Pomegranate Sparkling Water (0g)
- Coca Cola Zero (0g)
- Diet Coke (0g)
- Diet Dr. Pepper (0g)
- Fresh-Brewed Iced Tea, no sugar (0g)
- Kronenbourg 1664 Blanc (0g)
- MGD 64 (2g)
- Sam Adams The Wicked Easy, 12 oz. (2g)
- Truly Wild Berry Hard Seltzer, 12 oz. (2g)
- Blackstone Merlot, 6 oz. (0g)
- Clos du Bois Cabernet Sauvignon, 6 oz. (2g)
- Jacob’s Creek Chardonnay (0g)
- Jacob’s Creek Shiraz (0g)
- The Naked Grape Merlot (0g)
- Woodbridge Cabernet Sauvignon (0g)
What to avoid at Red Robin?
With some modifications, there is a bunch of keto options you can choose from at Red Robin. However, there are also things you can’t just simply eat on the ketogenic diet. Think: fried items, onion rings, fries, garlic toast, desserts, shakes… and the list goes on.
Below you will find non-keto menu items you need to stay away from under all circumstances!
Say NO to these burgers, sandwiches and wraps:
- Scorpion Gourmet Burger
- The Southern Charm
- The Master Cheese
- Banzai Burger
- Whiskey River BBQ Burger
- Burnin’ Love Burger
- Veggie Burger
- Pig Out Tavern Double
- Crispy Chicken Sandwich
- Whiskey River BBQ Chicken Wrap
- Teriyaki Chicken Sandwich
- Whiskey River BBQ Chicken Sandwich
These are also high in net carbs. Say NO to:
- Burger buns
- Onion rings
- Pretzel bites
- Fried pickles
- Fried cheese sticks
- Clucks & fries
- Fish & chips
- Crispy Chicken Tender Salad
- Southwest Salad
- All kinds of fries (yes, even zucchini fries)
- All soups (except: french onion soup)
- All desserts and shakes
- Most beers and wines
Our final opinion
We won’t judge you for ordering out – we do it too sometimes (especially now, since we have two little humans). Whenever possible though, try to make your own meals at home. If that’s not possible at the moment, we hope our guide gave you enough tips to choose Red Robin keto and low carb options from their menu wisely.
Our favorite thing Red Robin offers is the wedgie burger. You can wrap anything you order in lettuce, which makes eating a burger in a bowl a thing of the past. One thing we didn’t love is their limited dressing menu. Aside from salsa, ranch and bleu cheese, there isn’t much to choose from.
Here is their Nutrition Information if you want to check it out. Since it doesn’t list macros by ingredient, we tried to help you out by calculating it ourselves.
For more tips on how to eat keto at restaurants and fast food places, check out our article on The Best Keto Fast Food Options or see what you can get low carb at Arby’s, Olive Garden, The Cheesecake Factory, IHOP and more!